Dr. Harry Thode (1910-1997) was a chemist, nuclear scientist, and university president who played a key role transforming McMaster University from a small liberal arts college to the major research and educational institution that it is today. Dr. Thode was the driving force behind the campaign to have a nuclear reactor installed at McMaster in the 1950s, and played a vital role in
establishing the university as a nuclear research center. Today, the Science and Engineering library at McMaster University bears Dr. Thode’s name, and the café inside the Thode Library evokes his most evident legacy: The Reactor.
The McMaster Daily News has produced several articles featuring Dr. Thode over the years, including coverage of the celebration of Thode’s 100th birthday in 2010, a description of his role in the construction of MNR, the announcement of the winning entry in the name-the-café contest for the Thode Library in 2008.
In 2003, the McMaster University Press published a biography of Dr. Thode, as was noted by the McMaster Daily News.